Saturday, November 19, 2016

Soccer

So every time I say this out loud to the people that know me the best, I get one of two responses:
(A) surprised pause and then "oh" or,
(B) the nicer ones just....BUST out laughing in my face.

I was Luke's soccer coach this year.

 photo SGC_EC_Work16111814150_zps1emrot3y.jpg
Which one were you? Oh? Or have you recovered from your fit of laughter?

I didn't start out as Luke's soccer coach. You see, to make a long story short, the original soccer coach was having some trouble. He knew the game of soccer, but wrangling 5 and 6 years old is a different kind of sport.

 photo IMG_9413_zpsatilstbf.jpg

I know my child. My wild, loving, affectionate, maniac does not do 'unstructured' well. This was second go at organized sports, and I really really really wanted it to be a good experience for him since the first time we didn't even finish the season. I knew if we continued down this unstructured path, the season would be painful for both me as a parent and him as a child.

So what did I do....I volunteered to help. I don't know a LICK about soccer, but I have almost twenty years experience of kid wrangling. I decided that instead of complaining to the organization, I would offer a solution...even if it wasn't a great one.

That's how I became Luke's soccer coach.

And let me tell you, I learned a lot. Not only did I learn what 3v3 and 5v5 meant (thanks WW for that quick lesson) and that really you can kick the ball with ANY part of your foot, but I learned 5 and 6-year-old kids just want to have fun.


 photo DSC_0264_zpst2higfvw.jpg  photo DSC_0253_zpsdaypu7rv.jpg


I soon found out the best way to 'coach' a 5-year-old is convincing them they are having fun. Practice is fun. The game is fun. Scoring is fun. Watching someone else score (even if they are on the other team) is fun. I even made our team cheer "HAVE FUN"!

 photo unnamed 2_zps20hlbffq.jpg

You see, they are 5 and 6. They have most of their life to be competitive. They will spend most of their kid and teenage years running drills for whichever sport they choose. They will spend hours getting advice from parents, coaches, sideline coaches, friends' parents.

 photo DSC_0296_zpspdx2nino.jpg  photo IMG_0404_zpsto6k1kb4.jpg

But at 5 and 6...they need more fun in their life. So fun was what I tried to give them. That and a whole lot of love. I don't need my kids burned out of a sport by 10. I need my kid to LOVE playing on a team. LOVE being coached. LOVE being active.

 photo DSC_0237_zps1luzvjyk.jpg  photo DSC_0292_zpsvcqvwnib.jpg

Will I coach again...NO no no no and no. But I will make sure I find a team for my kids that emphasizes fun? Absolutely. Let's make sports fun again for our littlest loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment