Saturday, September 1, 2012

That Dangerous Prayer

In the Spring of 2011, I was really searching for a fit within my church. John was playing in the worship band and had been getting amazing fulfillment from serving with his gift.



I was just getting by but I also was working full time with 6 month old and a 3 year old. I loved the music, sermons and little interaction I had with the people of The Stirring, but always sat on the outside. I decided to do something about that. I prayed for God to use me. It is a dangerous prayer. One you need to pray about before actually saying. I had always heard that if you pray to be used, God will open many doors for you to serve Him. I just need to hear the knock.

I got several nos from God when trying to find my way. At first I tried to start a women's bible study. That didn't work. Then I tried joining a small group within Hope. That didn't work either (all because of my schedule, not the people). Two very clear nos. I remember driving home one day talking to God and finally just said, "Use me how You desire for Your will." Within a week we got a call to be a part of the leadership team. We spent a week praying about it and decided it was a great opportunity.
Since that first meeting in April 2011, I haven't slowed down.



It has been an amazing journey to participate in Stirring events and help plan big services like Maundy Thursday, 10th anniversary, Christmas and now The Big Move. I volunteer alongside some amazing people who God uses in the most special way.








I am so blessed God told me no so I could wait for His better plan. My church doesn't try to poach members from other churches. Our goal is plain and simple. We are a church for the unchurched. We are a place for anyone who has been burned, let down, or disappointed sometime in their past by a church. Now, we aren't going to turn you away if you want a Sunday night service to add with your Sunday morning service! But what I am asking of you, all my readers, is to come visit. Because once you see what The Stirring is made of, you might know exactly the person who needs us. Once you hear the music, you might think of that one person who never knew rock and roll could fit in a church. Once you see an artist on stage creating a piece from his/her worship, you might think of that once person who is moved by art. Once you hear Eli speak....well, then you'll really know why we had to move to the big room. :) No seriously, you might think of that one friend or family member that needs to hear his encouraging words.

This church service changed my life. It saved me from just attending church to worshipping at church. I hope it changes yours or someone you know's life too. Come see us this Sunday at 5:30 at Hope. You might even recognize a couple people on stage. ;)

Just an FYI - this was the second blog post I ever wrote. It sat and sat and sat in my drafts. I think now, with our move to the main sanctuary was the best time to publish it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment