Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Choose Kind

This post is going to be short because I'm using every ounce of energy I have to type this out. Actually I'm not even typing this out. I'm using Siri to write it for me so please excuse all the typos.

I came home on Tuesday afternoon with a fever around 100°. I promptly changed into PJs and crawled into bed. I was the second one in my family to go down with illness and I definitely didn't want the other two to get it. While I was lying there in my fever induced state I heard the pitter patter pitter patter of bare feet on the hardwood floor followed by the swoosh of pant legs. The sound came to an abrupt stop so I pried open one eye. I was lying facing the door. As I checked out who the two little feet belonged to I saw eight fingers gripping the door jam and one pumpkin head leaning into the room. There was Evan. With that cowlick in the center of his forehead that will never lay down and those dimples that go all the way in his cheeks standing there giving me the sweetest smile I've seen all day. It was completely dark in my room so I'm not sure if he saw me open my eyes. He literally tiptoed into the room and over to the bed. He gently climbed on trying his hardest not to disturb me. He sat on the other end of the bed on his knees waiting patiently. He used to hands to scoot as close as he could to me. I was laying on my side, and he was kneeling right beside my hips. He gently started to rub my arm. I then turned my head just so he would know that I was smiling too and appreciated his kindness. When he noticed I was awake he looked straight into my eyes and said, "I hate that you're sick mommy." No one told him to come in and check on me. No one told him to come make me feel better. No one offered a cookie or treat for "taking care" of momma. He choose those actions...those words.

My boy. His heart is so big for his little body. I am so impressed when, at four, he can choose kindness. It fills my heart to know his sweet little soul is looking out after others, including the people who are supposed to look out for him.

My sweet boy, always choose kind.

(If you haven't read Wonder yet, please do so. It will change you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment