Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Oh Hey, 30A: family trip

First, I cannot explain to you the horrible guilt I have been carrying around because I haven't blogged in so many months. This is my family's memory album...the kids 'baby' book....our life summed up so my kids remember what forced family fun we had.

 photo IMG_7918_zpscnpe5tvp.jpg

And because of that guilt, I never knew where to start or what to included when I actually did dial into the good ole interwebz again. Thankfully, I had a good long heart to heart with myself and decided to just 'let it go' and pick up exactly where we are now...which is the end of summer.

 photo IMG_7591_zpsz4yj6lwc.jpg
All smiles as we get on the road!
We decided to go to the beach again this summer for our family trip. Instead of the Alabama coast we wanted to try 30A. John and I had been there as a couple and really liked the vibe. Of course, the vibe with kiddos is much different.

9.5 hours into the trip I moved to the backseat to cheer these little dudes up. It only worked on one of them. I'll let you figure out who that was.
 photo IMG_7602_zpswpy3s3dl.jpg
9 seconds on the beach and all that traffic nonsense was forgotten!
 photo IMG_7618_zpskelhemvx.jpg

The beach was fabulous...as long as we were there. lol. I tell people that as a type A person I tend to set my expectations high and then do whatever it takes to get me there. The problem is, when you have kids AND you are type A, you tend to also set their expectations high and you have absolutely no way of forcing them to reach them. Mid way through this trip I realized I had done this and no one was happy about it.
So what if they didn't want to hang on the beach as long as I would have wanted (sun up to sun down), they were happy.
So what if they wanted to be in the pool 85% of the time, they were happy.
So what if they would rather stay in and eaten dinner in front of a movie, they were happy.
So what if they got up at 6AM every.single.morning, they were happy.
So about mid way through I realized this was their family trip too and my expectations should be; "make them smile".

 photo IMG_7664_zpsw0yxjfvf.jpg

Luke and Evan loved the ocean. They loved everything about it. They loved swimming in it, diving into it, wrestling against it, body boarding with it, searching for fish in it, getting beat up by it!

 photo IMG_7713_zpsz7ylsqwb.jpg  photo IMG_7874_zpse1tivao6.jpg

They weren't as enthusiastic about the sand, but would dig and build with me when I talked them into it.
 photo IMG_7738_zps3hrwo8ti.jpg 
 photo IMG_7638_zpse4on7xle.jpg  photo IMG_7637_zpsxyp7g5qi.jpg
 photo IMG_7691_zpsedshhpxp.jpg

We ventured out for a couple meals. The boys did great, but let us know quite vividly that they would rather stay in the condo and watch a movie while eating. I mean, when you only eat 6 foods, I can completely see how that would be more enjoyable. (:eyeroll:)
 photo IMG_7653_zpsd7owqfpx.jpg 

Thanks to the modern age of technology and social media, we found out we had not one, but TWO families we knew on 30A the same week! It was so fun to meet up with friends I haven't seen in years and introduce them to boys AND meet up friend from school so the guys could see a friendly face!

 photo IMG_7763_zpsh1m8fblb.jpg
Careful Adam...captain Big Head is near.
 photo IMG_7789_zpsvqddlur9.jpg
Who needs toys when you have new friends and spoons!?
Most nights John and I ate dinner together on our patio looking out on the ocean and beach. One of my favorite activities while eating was watching all the well dressed families and groups of high school girls go out at sunset and take pictures. I loved predicting their poses, critiquing their lighting choices, oooh-ing and awwww-ing at their adorable kids playing in the sand. So the last evening we were there, we decided to just go for a walk on the beach. I grabbed my camera and we set off. Little did I know I would capture my family rawly in their elements. These are by far some of my favorite pictures of my family. The ones that tell you exactly who they are.

 photo DSC_0023_zpsylrhvvll.jpg  photo DSC_0027_zpsqxadsx3q.jpg

Evan wanted to record a video blog for his YouTube channel...that he doesn't have. Then he immediately found someone he found interesting, because the man was combing the beach with a metal detector, and tagged along with him looking for treasure.
 photo DSC_0055_zpszejrpene.jpg  photo DSC_0016_zpsffw8dils.jpg
 photo DSC_0035_zpss59iccoz.jpg  photo DSC_0040_zpsbmt8arnl.jpg

Luke...well, Luke just wanted to be Luke.
 photo DSC_0049_zps2utyups2.jpg  photo DSC_0060_zpskdiqvix8.jpg 
 photo DSC_0052_zpsga6x85lu.jpg  photo DSC_0065_zpsbvaostfr.jpg

Both these boys, in their frustrating ways, are perfect and all mine.
 photo DSC_0045_zpshyqvqlul.jpg  photo DSC_0043_zpsp3o4bcr8.jpg

All in all, it was a good week. Not perfect, but good. My chaos, my family, my lovely lovely blessed life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment