Monday, October 12, 2015

Surprise!! John's Birthday

There are only 6 weeks that John and I are the same age, and you better believe I take full advantage to say "Oh, we are the same age" as many times as I can in those 6 weeks.

This year I had one thing planned for John's birthday, but changed course with less than 12 hours to plan. John isn't one to be surprised. He isn't as big of a planner as me, but surprises aren't his thing. So what do I do after 20 years of birthdays together?? Surprise him. :)

Way way way back this summer we heard Indigo Girls were coming to GPAC. John and I have seen the Indigo Girls together before in college. He saw them again in without me, but let's face it....that was a long time ago. John tried to get us tickets, but the concert was sold out before 11am. We were bummed for about 5 minutes, but got over it and reminded ourselves we went to an awesome concert (Amos Lee) for his birthday last year.

BUT, the day of, I happened upon 2 tickets that were in the THIRD ROW! I couldn't let that just pass me by. Since I knew this was something he wanted to do, I decided it would be a great surprise. I called him around 3 and casually asked if he was going to leave work on time. He mumbled something about deadlines and clients and important stuff like that, but I said, "Let me rephrase this....You have to leave work on time. I need you home by 6pm. I have a surprise for you." John paused and didn't say anything (which if you have ever talked to John on the phone, isn't unusual). I said, "Okay? Okay. Thanks. Bye."
 photo IMG_9698_zpsgfj9lt7g.jpg

Getting ready that night was hysterical to me. I was giddy and he was nervous. He kept saying, "This is weird. I don't like this."
 photo IMG_9693_zps6xctvaba.jpg

We had reservations at Elfo's before the concert. When we were driving, he didn't know where we were going.
John: We have to be trying to make a reservation.
Me: Why do you say that?
John: Because you are driving slow.
Me: I am driving the speed limit.
John: <sideways glance> Amanda, you never drive the speed limit.

While we ate, he had no clue we had other plans. After dinner I slid the tickets across the table. He was shocked and surprised and happy.

 photo IMG_9707_zpsffnkha51.jpg  photo IMG_9703_zpsmd6xwrrs.jpg  photo IMG_9705_zpspixgu6tn.jpg  photo IMG_9712_zpsx44bro8n.jpg

The concert was awesome. They sound like they haven't aged since we saw them in the 90's. The talent on that stage was incredible. I tried to keep track with how many times they changed guitars. I lost count after the 3 song.

 photo IMG_9731_zpsrxdq7yl3.jpg  photo IMG_9736_zpstxltaf8o.jpg  photo IMG_9735_zpstjuyuui7.jpg

But best of all, I was able to surprise John for his birthday! It probably won't happen for another 20 years. :)
 photo IMG_9721_zpshpyuxuly.jpg  photo IMG_9724_zpszeonty0m.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment