Monday, March 20, 2017

Kids Baking Championship

My boys have been obsessed with Cake Wars and Kids Baking Championship for the past month. It's all they want to watch. Luke is hysterical quoting ingredients and techniques. Hey - if it actually gets me a birthday cake this year, I'm all in!

I caught him on the counter admiring his cake more than once!
A fellow mom posted on Instagram an adorable picture of her two kids cakes from their home version of Kids Baking Championship! It got me thinking.... (remind me not to think next time).

So I stupidly suggested the weekend before that one of our days be a Kids Baking Championship. The boys were ALL about it, and not going to let it go, as much as I tried in the days leading up.

First, I was still grumpy at Mother Nature for giving us SNOW and temps in the 40's for Spring Break. I was grumpy because I hadn't planned to do anything on Wednesday. I wanted one day...just one day of nothing. I was grumpy for even suggesting it. I was grumpy that we were going to have TWO cakes in this house. I just wasn't in the best place to happily bake a cake, and it might have been obvious...especially when I said, "I don't even WANT to DO this cake thing anymore!!" I can't say it was my proudest moment.

I took a couple deep breaths, gave myself a time out, apologized to the kids, and forged ahead.

I told the boys they had to work together to plan the A cake because we don't need two seperate cakes in this house! They spent almost half an hour inventorying all the food items they had to work with, sketching their design, and really working together. I was really proud.


They decided on a Spring Cake, since it was 42 degrees Spring Break. 


They wanted a rainbow that ended in a pot of gold.

They worked so hard and got along so well that all that grumpiness from the morning was forgotten! Later that night, I asked them both separately these two question.

Do you have a good memory from today?
Do you have a bad memory from today?

I asked them that because I had been beating myself up all day over the way I acted. I was being selfish. I was mad at the weather and took it out on them. I was tired or cranky or hungry. Who knows! I just know how I reacted had been haunting ME all day. Now I was ready to see if it had them.

Their answer...both of them...was the same. Both question, both kids, same answer.
Both boys said their good memory from today was that they got to bake, design, and decorate their own cake.
Both boys said they didn't have a bad memory at all. 


PS. We still have cake left in this house!! Please, someone, come take it away!

No comments:

Post a Comment