Friday, May 18, 2018

Evan's heart



I've been trying to find the words all day to express how proud I am of E, but keep coming up short.

This has been quite a year of growth for Evan and me. Both of us have to stop and remind ourselves that our worth is not measured by what other people think of us. It's not measured by how hard you can hit a baseball or the grade on your report card. It's not measured by how many 'likes' you get or how clean and organized the house is. It's not measured by how many people pick you for their secret special club. Our worth has already been determined when Jesus chose to die on the cross for us...for me...for him. Now it's our turn to show in our outward actions what that means to us.

Evan and I are blessed to call St. George's our second home...our second family. All the people SG Gryphons take the time to get to know each and every student. Their strengths, their weaknesses, their hardships, their successes. When I tell you that they know my children almost as well as I do...I am not lying.

This year Evan was recognized for citizenship at Award's Day. I said it all day and I will keep saying it. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME. THIS IS HOW GOD MADE HIM. It's my job to nurture it and some days I feel like I fail Him. God gave me this precious gift just like he is. I pray to follow God's plan for his life.

But at St. George's, they recognized this gift Evan was given. His empathetic heart. His love for little kids. His positive attitude. The way he loves to lift others up. This is what his teacher wrote about him. This is what caused me to do the 'ugly cry'. Thank heavens I was in the back row!

"This young man truly lives his life by putting others before himself. As he walks across campus he easily greets others and never hesitates to stop, jump in, and help if he sees a need. It is wonderful to see him interact with younger students as he has the ability to make them feel special. He always has the time for a high five or a hug. He can be seen on almost a daily basis taking the time to speak directly to children in the early childhood division. At the beginning of the year, he would take the time each day to interact with a Junior Kindergartener who was unsure because he was new to the school. This young student instantly had an anchor each and every day that increased his confidence. This good citizen has an innate ability to see when his classmates need encouragement as well as finds subtle ways to build them up. One time in office hours he was seen asking a student to explain a math problem to him even though he understood it, just to help this other student regain confidence after a tough afternoon. He always faces every challenge whether it is in the classroom or on the playground with a positive attitude."

No comments:

Post a Comment