Friday, April 20, 2018

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

The first grade Animal Play was a hit!!


At St. George's the first grade students do a collaborative study all about animals. This unit spans across not only their school subjects but their specialty subjects as well. In music, they sing songs about animals. In library, they research using primary sources about animals. In art, the sculpt animals. In technology (that's me) they learn about proper internet research and good use of online resources to learn about animals. They make a digital presentation on animals. In Innovation lab, they learn about conservation. They design AND implement a business from start to finish to raise money to adopt an animal at the zoo. It's animals everywhere! The unit ends with a great field trip to the zoo.

During this, the student put on an Animal Play where they get to showcase to the parents and school all they've done. Their art is on the walls. Their presentations play before the show. The music is sung during the show. Their research and facts are their lines in the show. The way this comes together as a part of their learning is quite amazing.

This year, the students got to pick an animal they were interested in. Luke picked the kookaburra because of it's laughing bird call. The first time he heard it, he imitated it perfectly. Luke's laugh is almost as unique as a kookaburra, so this was a perfect fit.

Let me just say, Luke keeps surprising me. In PK, I remember telling his teacher he might not even get on stage for the PK performance. I remember the conversation so clearly. I said, "We might be absent that day." Luke really didn't like people looking at him when he was younger. Like, I am not kidding. People looking at him made him very uncomfortable. My first child LIVES for attention. The more people watching him, the better.  As a baby, Luke would cry when strangers would try to talk to him. If he knew you, cool. If not, don't come near. So what did I think about an entire audience looking at him when he was 4....terror. I thought it would terrify him.

He, of course, proved me wrong.

He shined that year and has kept shining on stage since. This year he especially got into the role. But I knew he was nervous. He kept putting his hand on his heart and grinning. I knew he was feeling his heartbeat to see how fast it was beating. That smile though....it meant everything.






He also knew everyone's line. I had no idea he had them all memorized. It would have been fine, but he was standing behind the three main characters. So every time they said a line, he mimed it behind them. Every. Time.

He was showing off his costume outside. He, very seriously, said, "WAIT! I have to use my feathers to camouflage!" This kid seriously makes me laugh.


And of course, we are super lucky to have family come see Luke perform! The whole grade spent so much time perfecting their performance. It meant so much to have them take time out of their day to appreciate their hard work!


We love you little kookaburra. I pray you keep this joy and laughter the rest of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment