Sunday, July 1, 2012

Can you hear me now?


Luke got a new case worker a couple weeks ago, and I really really like her. She loves seeing Luke when she visits, which makes me feel like she is really invested in our case. I gave her the list of 'words' that Luke uses, and she noted the fact that he doesn't finish words. Muh for more, buh for bye, cah for car. She asked about his hearing. I told her that he passed his hearing test in the hospital, which is what I've told every evaluator and screener (I think there have been 5) that has seen him over the past six months. She said that before the process started it should have been recommended for me to have Luke's hearing 'officially' tested by an ENT. I guess when the other evaluators asked me about a hearing test and I just said yes, they thought I meant an official one and not the hospital one. I brought it up to the speech therapist. She's really good at what she does. She said, "Oh yes, I thought that was already done." I explained I must have been mistaken and considered the hospital one the official one. So at the ped last week, I brought it up. He said I should go ahead and get his hearing officially tested.  

I think he can hear just fine. I can say 'watch tv' while standing downstairs and he'll come bounding down the stairs, run across the room and jump on the couch. He startles at loud sounds, responds to his name and simple commands, etc. I can whisper when I am standing behind him (no eye contact) and he'll do exactly as I ask him. He doesn't have fluid on his ears either. I do understand there is much more than just 'hearing'. There are frequencies that people can and cannot hear. (Maybe that's what John's problem is! There must be a wife frequency! When I tell him about important dates, he can't hear my frequency!! Just kidding honey, I love you!!) I understand he might be to 'hear' me, but it may sound like I am underwater and he is picking up on physical cues.  My heart is saying, if he is still having speech issues 2 years from now, we don't  have hime officially tested now, I will beat myself up for the rest of my life if it really boiled down to a hearing problem. The case worker, his therapist, his ped all said the same thing: "What could it hurt?" 

I have already made the appt for Friday. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. How will they test the hearing of a basically non-verbal child? It's not like they can ask him to raise his hand when he hears a tone. Luke has always been a shy and reserved. I am more afraid of them not being able to get proper results.

I am fortunate to have some amazing mommy friends who have put my mind at ease about the actual test. I have heard lots of stories of their child going through the process just fine. I am sorry any mommy had to experience this with their child, but so thankful people could share with me what to expect.

Luke is doing really good regardless of needing his hearing tested. Here are some of his 'words'. 
ah duhn = all done (his clearest word)
Ha – a really southern hi
dee – three
gah - go
eh buh = Evan
uhuh – uh oh!
duh = dog
dahhhhh buh – down, boom
mmmmmm = moo
muh = more
uh dere = upstairs
ah si = outside
dar - star
dat - that
cah - car
ch ch = choo choo
sho = shoes
wa = water
uh ine - sunshine
uh ewe = love you
yaaaaay = yay
weeee - whee 
mamama – mama
dada – daddy

Animals/Animal Noises
He roars when he sees a lion, sssssss when he sees a snake and does something like a scream for an elephant sound. His newest animal sound is a bee. He loves making szzszzszz sounds while trying to sting himself. 

Signs
More, please, open, all done, eat, milk, bird, help

I am so thankful to have two happy healthy children. God has blessed me beyond (waaaaay beyond) what I deserve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment