Sunday, July 15, 2012

Cowboys, SuperHeros, Hotlanta, and Freedom


But not in that order...

Fourth of July was pretty low key around here. The town shot fireworks on the 3rd. We could kind of see them from our backyard, but have a plan next year on exactly where to sit in our neighborhood for optimal viewing. The boys slept through the entire thing, which was fine by us. While watching their faces light up at the show will surely be one of my favorite memories later in life, right now, everyone being happy and rested the next day was a higher priority.
On the fourth, we took Emmy, Bill, their kiddos, Terry, Angela, and Gemma to the pool before a cookout. Once we got back to the house, we didn't see the big kids again. They stayed in the playroom and played the entire evening! The adults (plus Luke and Gemma) enjoyed catching up over burgers, chicken, hotdogs and YUMMY McClain tomato pie.

I went to Atlanta for a work conference the week after the fourth. The conference was great, and BONUS: I was able to visit the Georgia Aquarium AND I got to meet up with some Atlanta friends! Two-fer! :)
The Aquarium was spectacular. I can't wait until the boys are old enough for a longer road trip. Atlanta will definitely be on the list. Right beside the aquarium is the Coke Museum and The Children's Museum. I was also informed by a friend who lives near Atlanta there is a City Pass that will get you in a lot of places downtown for a discounted price.
The Georgia Aquarium
Most people may not know this, but I have one hugely irrational fear. I know it is irrational. I understand it's silly, but it sends me into a full blown anxiety attack - constricted chest, hard time breathing, shaking limbs...yeah, a true anxiety attack. That fear is fish. I hate fish. Behind a big walled glass is okay. I can handle that, but if there is any chance a fish might touch me, I go a little crazy. Oceans and lakes are not my friend unless there is medication involved.
Since the Aquarium has these big glass walls between me and the fish, I was okay. I even faced my fear and touched a sea anemone. Granted, they don't really move and don't have bulging eyes, but I am still counting it!
Most of the pictures I took don't do justice to the beauty of these animals. The whale sharks, sting rays, beluga whales, dragon fish, tropical fish....they were just left me speechless. I could probably sit in front of those tanks and watch them swim for hours.











The next night I got to meet up with some friends who live in Atlanta! We all have kiddos around the same age so it was nice to spend some mommy time just hanging out. The four hours of sleep that night were well worth it. :)
We ate at Marietta Diner where portion sizes can feed about 3 adults and the cakes are as big as my car.   They had between 40 and 50 cakes the choose from. Since it was my first time, the ladies let me indulge and we chose a death by chocolate type cake as one of our desserts. 

This was just one of three counters that held cake!


 While I was out of town, Evan was having waaaay too much fun at Cowboy Camp and Super Hero Camp. I know I work there, but I have been SUPER impressed with the camps so far at SGG. Every day he comes home with a new activity, or art and craft, or story about what happened at camp. He has loved every one he has been a part of. 


YEE HAW!

Super Evan








No comments:

Post a Comment