Friday, July 13, 2012

Hearing Test Update

Just an update that Luke passed his hearing test!

I was not impressed with the doctor's office in the least though. There was a tiny little walled off area that was supposed to be for kids. It has one chair, a tiny table and 2 broken toys. I put a chair up in the doorway so he wouldn't run into the regular waiting room and out in the hall or back in the offices, which he did twice before I tricked him with the chair. Luke did great playing while we waited.



When we went into the room there wasn't an exam table, which I'm sure is common for adult ENT people. I thought this place was going to be a pediatric establishment. So after waiting 15 more minutes in a room that had equipment with lighted buttons and door handles that he could reach, the doctor came in. To check his ears, she suggested I cross my legs over his, wrap my hands around his body locking his arms down while the nurse held his head. Needless to say, this was not his favorite position. She sent us (both crying...well not really, but I felt like it at this point) downstairs to an audiology place. He was still crying when we got there,  and it was another adult waiting room with open doors, bookshelves and breakable stuff on the bookshelves. So I had to hold (ie. restrain) him in my lap while we waited. I tried bouncing, clapping, singing, feeding him, giving him my iPhone, but nothing worked. The lady behind the counter was sweet and got him a sucker. That calmed him down some. But his hearing test sent the poor guy over the edge.

We went into a room that looked just like an office that any professional would work in. We sat in a chair in front of a computer. She stuck a little thingies in his ear and said "Now, he has to be quiet for this to work." Ummm, okay, sure thing. I have been entertaining my child for over an hour now while he has been confined to your adult office all while keeping him reasonably quiet AND, might I add, he has NOT broken any of your things. Now when you stick your little thingies in his ears he needs to be QUIET. He's 21 months old. You explain that to him. I was just so done. so so so so done. I sang to him while he cried, and he calmed down enough for them to get a reading, praise Jesus. Poor guy kept saying 'ah dun' over and over trying to tell me he was over it as well.

I was mad and upset on the way home, but realize now I shouldn't have been. I was just tried and worn out which misguided my emotions. I wanted his hearing tested and it was tested. They told me he can hear all frequencies. So now we just move forward with his therapies! Yay!

We celebrated with dinner out. It's been probably over 6 months since we have all 4 been out to eat together! Everyone had fun, and Luke loved sitting in the booth.


No comments:

Post a Comment