Thursday, October 4, 2012

I heart nature

Most people who really know me know that have two thing I consistently hate (yes I know hate is a strong word). I hate fish and nature touching me.

People get the fish thing. They have buggy eyes. They are scaly. They are much nicer dead on my plate with a nice accompanying sauce. The latter item has gotten me a bad wrap. I love outdoors. I love being outside. I will pick eating outdoors, sitting outdoors, and entertaining outdoors 99% of the time. I just don't want to sleep outdoors....or roll around in it for that matter. Nature falling from the sky, not my cup of tea. Dinner outside on the patio where I have a table to sit at...I'll take it. See? Me in nature. Don't hate.

Either way, almost every day at some point my family ends up playing outside. When we were in the final process of choosing a house we had it narrowed down to two. One had a large backyard and one was basically a zero lot. I am so happy we listened to God's nudging and bought the house with the big backyard.

Each night there are a variety of sports played out back. Baseball, football, basketball, soccer and sometimes a new game Evan invented called BallPound.  There are wagon and train rides, snacks on the porch, and general boy mayham.





But most importantly I have learned a lot about my boys during our outdoor playtime. Evan is a kind big brother and really tries to look out after Luke. Luke loves throwing and catching baseballs. Evan might not 'get' soccer, but really can hit the fire out of a baseball when John is pitching. Luke loves bubbles and weirdly doesn't mind how they taste. Evan needs an audience and Luke is content being alone. Basketball probably won't be in either one of their futures...sorry guys...short Book genes.  If it's dirty or gross, slimy, or smelly, creepy or crawly it is going to end up in their hands, on their face, on their shirt or in their mouth. Nothing is off limits outside. Pick up a bug, play with a stick, dig in the dirt, climb a fence, roll around in the puddles - just do what makes you happy. And boys...you make me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment