Saturday, November 28, 2015

Black Friday Tradtion

Day After Thanksgiving Thanksgiving was an absolute amazement once again this year!

First there was the annual freak out over the turkey...
And here I thought I had it all figured out. I roasted what was deemed "the best turkey ever" last year I thought this year would be a piece of cake.

Of course it wasn't.

I started freaking out over whether to brine or not. There is so much information out there about each option being the best and the other one being the worst (dern internet). So I did what any red blooded American does, I took it to a Facebook debate. While I got a lot of great feedback, the winner was a neighbor who literally hand delivered to my doorstep, some William Sonoma brine mix, a brining bag and a turkey recipe. Patricia you are my hero!!!!

 photo 5E6A8DBB-1D31-444D-B60A-FA1478AB200B_zpsaapyoj2u.jpg

Oh how I wish that was the end of the freak out. For some reason, after 5 or 6 times with 5 or 6 different calculators, I put the turkey in the oven too early. It was done almost 4 hours before dinner!! The little thermometer popped right out of that thing before noon. And on top of that, I forgot to put it in the turkey bag Janice gave me the day before! Thankfully, because of John's cool head, we were able to keep it warm without over cooking it and save Day After Thanksgiving.

 photo 3D546F3E-809B-41DF-91FA-AF0F99CC49A1_zpsraqr2ds3.jpg  photo DD6A84A1-6673-4C6E-8D03-46CBC1A9B921_zpskshi9w8i.jpg
 photo 0506A16A-CCF5-4A1B-B07B-F541E0CC78BD_zpsjdye4qfj.jpg
(But there was no saving those damn brussel sprouts...aka snot wads. Ps. Everybody that ate them said they turned out great but they sure didn't look pretty.)

Evan made name tags for almost everyone. He was all in until Lane got here. Then he abandoned ship and went out to shoot the bow and arrow.
 photo ttgiving2_zpsqqazice2.jpg

While he was making these name tags, I accidentally cut myself with a knife. That prompted him to write me a secret note that I didn't find until halfway through my dinner. #cursethatknife
 photo 3B8BB856-DA2E-4CC6-84D3-A715B29FE571_zpsxyyvumbu.jpg

This year we were soooo lucky to have Lane join us. These boys are just the absolute cutest things together.
 photo ttgiving3_zpsxmdmr9za.jpg  photo ttgiving5_zpsd5j6nn6a.jpg
Baby Callie also woke up just in time for some sweet snuggles from me!
 photo ttgiving4_zps01rpzxei.jpg

After 7 hours on my feet of non-stop food prep, cleaning, and cooking, I told John we weren't doing this next year. Of course, he looked at me, smiled, and said, "okay, honey." Seriously, what would I do without him.

Sadly, I don't have a lot of pictures from either Thanksgiving celebrations, but that's okay. I think I spent more time living the day rather than documenting day.

It was a great day...and it will keep being my favorite day of the entire year.

 photo ttgiving6a_zpsnsr4f2cp.jpg  photo DC33CF3F-9D3F-4906-A158-38CE7BF62AF9_zpslges1ulp.jpg
 photo ttgiving9_zpsc8vpmrwm.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment