Monday, September 5, 2016

Play Ball!!

Evan played Spring Ball this year with quite literally the BEST coaches I have ever seen in my life.
 photo DSC_0140_zpsqqj87ckq.jpg
Coach Dee pitching while Evan waits to run home.
I love watching Evan play baseball. I love it. I love watching him cheer on his teammates. I love watching him focus while batting. I love watching him in the outfield practicing his throws (and not focusing...). I love that he knows he loves the outfield and asks his coaches to put him there. I love that he loves to win, but loves the play more.

 photo DSC_0148_zpsf9dimycs.jpg  photo DSC_0111_zpsvwiktvyw.jpg
 photo DSC_0118_zpsozpgepww.jpg  photo DSC_0130_zpsrwqregul.jpg 

He's played baseball for 4 seasons straight. When I told him it was time to sign up for fall ball, his face fell.

He needed a break.

I didn't understand. He loved baseball. He loved games. He even loved practice. I didn't understand, but I didn't question him. I simply told him, if you don't want to play this fall....you don't have to.

He told me, "I know you will be disappointed, but I just don't want to play this season."

My heart broke. Not because he didn't want to play, but because he thought I was going to be disappointed. You have to understand...I am not a 'soccer mom'. I go to games. I cheer when he's batting. I post pictures about once a season on Facebook. I don't give him advice outside of practices and games. I don't hire personal trainers to help his swing. I don't make him practice in the backyard.

 photo IMG_6661_zpsyjvymcok.jpg   photo DSC_0108_zpszaimoppm.jpg

So I was confused why he was so worried about me. But again, that's who God made Evan to be. My kid who is more concerned with other people's feelings than his own at times.

And Lord knows I don't need a kid burned out of a sport by the age eight....

So we are trying some new things. Drums, possibly swim team, possibly karate. Whatever fuels his passion fuels me.

No comments:

Post a Comment