Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Amanda and her Alligator

St. George's has a Book Character Parade every year during Book Week. First through third graders get to dress up as their favorite character from a book.

Last year was Evan's last year to dress up and we went all out. I actually bought clothes and made stuff for his costume. That, I tell you, is a rarity in this house. 

Luke was in SK at the time and realized he had a year until his first parade. This child decided right then and there he wanted to go as the Alligator from Amanda and her Alligator. And guess who he wanted to be Amanda....yup. Me.


This went on for a year. ONE YEAR. Every time we read that book, he would mention it. "I get to be the Alligator and you're Amanda!" Yes, honey. I'll go as Amanda.

You see, working at the school in which my children attend gives me several perks. I get to also dress up as a book character. I've gone as Purplicious, the Mouse in When You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the Alligator in Peter Pan.....oh wait.

YES!! I already had an alligator head! Score.

I ended up buying him green clothes to complete the outfit. We even rehearsed what he 'might' say. I was asked to take pictures of the characters as they came out of the chapel. When I saw Luke's class walk toward the stage, I handed my camera phone to a friend and ran up to the stage. When I whispered to Luke, "You ready? You still going to say your line?" He simply put one finger to his lips and said SHHHH!

Okay.


They say, "Luke Asbell as the Alligator in Amanda and her Alligator" and he rapidly walks across the stage. I am left standing 1/4 of the way across. I walk back and whisper "and Mrs. Asbell as Amanda" to the student who is looking at me completely confused.  Luke gets to center stage and says, "I put on my thinking cap!" and skips down the stairs. By the time he's halfway down I get to the center. Now all eyes in the chapel are on me. Just standing there. Dressed as Amanda.

I laugh and say, "I'm Amanda." 

No one got it. 

This kid better be glad he is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment