Sunday, January 29, 2012

I am part of the 50%

John and I split any child rearing responsibilities completely in half. I am extremely lucky to have a soul mate who sees being a parent as a two person job. This includes changing diapers, fixing lunches, bathing kiddos and getting them dressed, the fun stuff. I honestly don't think he would have it any other way. We go about most of our marriage like this. I can only think of one thing we don't split, which is bill paying. I suck at it which is evident by the number of checks I bounced in college. So John takes that completely by himself. Our bank appreciates that sacrifice on his part.

Part of our morning routine is that John gets the boys dressed and breakfast on the table. I have learned two things over the past year of him doing this. One, he either secretly likes picking out their clothes, or two, a little part of him wishes we had twins. :)
Every day the boys look adorable. I love their little "looks" and am happy we both want them styled the same way. Most days there is a theme; rugby day, cargo khaki day, sweater day, or blue long sleeved shirt day. John even got in on the fun of clothing that day!


John and I try our hardest to abide by an "unplugged" rule, another part of parenting we agree on. We try not to open computers, turn on iPads or check email on our phones from 5-8. Being working parents, this is the only uninterrupted time we get with our kids, and we want it focused on being a family. After our family dinner at the kitchen table, we usually all retire upstairs for family fun. There are several activities that usually take place, but once a night we wrestle. I have two little boys, what did I expect?


Lately we have been having pillow fights.

But each night, no matter what we do, we have fun.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I remember those days... I know this is cliche to you but it is true... Enjoy them while they are young - they grow up WAY too fast!

    ReplyDelete