Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Maundy Thursday

As mentioned before, April was a blur. I hate that I didn't blog in the moment, but any moment I had free was spent either packing, with my boys or catching up on much needed rest.

Being part of The Stirring at Hope Pres means that Easter always starts with Maundy Thursday. When I was a member of the Lutheran church, we celebrated Holy Week all week long. Lent service Wednesday, Maundy Thursday service, Good Friday service and Easter morning service. While in transition of church homes, I realized how much I missed the Holy Week services. Easter is a wonderful holiday, but not one of my favorite. I could never really put my finger on why it wasn't. I feel like it should have been. We are celebrating the resurrection my savior and there is some of the best candy available on Easter as well!! Halloween candy has got NOTHING on Easter candy! I think it boiled down to how much I needed those Holy Week services. It wasn't until they were gone that I realized it was an important part of Easter to me. That is why I was so happy when The Stirring started offering a Maundy Thursday service. Those first 7 years we were just faithful attendees. Now that John and I are both on the leadership team and John plays in the band, we are able to get our hands dirty!

This year's service was centered around the theme Common. The cross is just two pieces of common wood. Communion is just common food; bread and wine. Jesus used these common items to perform His uncommon work.  The Stirring stage is always a site to behold, but when it comes to our special services, people are always amazed. This year a hard working, dedicated crew blinged up the stage with hundreds of lights. The stage had a very steampunk feel (no, I am not cool enough to know what that is. I had to look it up the night we decorated.)
Sadly, this year I had to miss the service. I was a part of the planning and set up, so I had seen the music and lighting for the evening, but missed out on Eli's sermon. Sweet Evan had his second fever (of his whole life!) and some tummy issues, so we had to stay home. But here are some shots of the service.



The uber talented Stirring Band


No comments:

Post a Comment