Wednesday, December 19, 2012

C is for cookie...

COOOOOOOKIE!

Every year my lunch ladies and I hold a cookie swap. I think we figured out this is our 5th annual swap. I have actually been a part of a cookie swap for 9 or 10 years, but this one is now a tradition among friends.

Photobucket
Angela, Susan, Lindsey, Jennie, Becca, Alison, and me
Here's the basics of a cookie swap: everyone brings a set number of the same type of cookie on one platter. Everyone also bring an empty platter to load up. Before we start each person goes over what kind of cookie they brought and the ingredients (if it's unusual). Put the cookies all on one table and just start loading! We usually walk in a circle and grab the set number of cookies until we get back to our own. Most of the time, our math is wrong or we have brought more cookies than expects and we take a couple turns around the table. We also bring a non-sweet item and beverage of choice to consume before we actually swap. And we laugh...a lot....

Here is what we brought this year. Links included for the recipes! Look at this ridiculousness!!!

My Peanut Butter Bars - Easy Peasy. These bars are about a 15 minute prep and 30 minute cook. They use cake mix so the 'cookie' part is extra soft. I wasn't keeping an eye on my chocolate (with two boys I have NO idea how that could have happened) and it cooked a little too long. Don't go cheap on the chocolate on this recipe. It deserves the best. 
Photobucket

Brown Butter Nutella Surprise - I renamed this cookie because if I get tired just saying the name, I am certainly going to get tired making it. This cookie is a labor of love. And I say that because it is very laborious and because my husband loves me so much he helped me. I was very hesitant about browning butter. I had never done that before. Advice - make sure your pot is big enough. Mine wasn't and there was butter everywhere. Also, while you are whisking you will think, how in the world am I supposed to know when this is done?? The aroma was my biggest sign. Once you smell that 'nutty' flavor you are almost done. You'll know...trust yourself.
Photobucket
You really need to see the inside of this cook to understand its magic.

There were tons of other yummies on the counter that night.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Special K Bars by Alison and various chocolate chip cookies by Jennie and Lindsey!
Photobucket       Photobucket

Embarrassingly enough, you'd think 60 cookies would last a whole lot longer in this house. I must have some cookie monsters on my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment