Sunday, June 30, 2013

Schooooooool's out for summer!

I have been an educator for 13 years. I have been at SG for 6 of those. When I took the position at SG, I knew it was a 12 month position which means I was giving up my summers. At that time, giving up my summers wasn't that big of a deal. The first 7 years I taught with the county, I worked every summer doing things from front desk work at the Y to writing ELA curriculum at the board. So not having to search for a summer job actually sounded nice.

Then I had kids...

The past 2 summers have been hard. I am thankful SG offers summer camps for kids from 4 years old all the way up to 6th grade, but it still was hard to see so many of my friends have the summer off with their kids. I almost felt like I was putting my children at a disadvantage. Of course, then I remembered there are millions of kids who's parents aren't teachers and they also have to go to some sort of 'care' during the summer. I am not an island. I am not alone.

Our summer has started off great. Evan took swim lessons at The Pool School. I cannot say enough fabulous things about this program!! It is a 2 weeks class, 4 days a week for a half hour. Evan went from not wanting his face to get wet when in the pool (or bath) to swimming with his face in the water!! He even jumps in the pool and goes completely under water!! I never thought this day would come! He is even begging to go back to swim lessons. I am hoping I can find some extra money somewhere to get him in some more lessons this summer. He still has 2 level before he's graduated to the class that works on specific strokes.  I would love to have him do those classes next summer.
 As with most things, little brother thinks he is the same size and age as Evan. Which means he thinks he can do all the things Evan does in the pool. I am allowing Luke to try whatever he wants so he gets comfortable with the water!!! Luke is doing things now at 2.75 that Evan wouldn't do at 4. I am hoping this swimming things comes easier for Luke since he is obviously more comfortable with the water.
As summer has come our days have gotten longer. John has taken a new job and his work days have become longer. We're okay with that because we know he is really enjoying what he does, even if that means he comes home later. The boys and have gotten some great mommy son time at the pool, outside in the backyard, and even some cuddles. :)

 photo null_zps83499442.jpg  photo null_zps6beb2ec7.jpg
 photo null_zps4469bb27.jpg  photo null_zps12624b34.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment