Sunday, August 11, 2013

Get away weekend

The boys' pediatrician gave John and I some advice during the first year of Evan's life. Every time he saw Evan for a visit (and in that first year there are a ton) he would make sure we were prioritizing our marriage. He gave us what I thought was an impossible feat in the first couple visits. He said to date once a month and go on an out of town trip, even if it was for one night, just the two of us. I laughed inside my sleep deprived head and sarcastically thought, 'yeah right'.

 photo null_zps9fa95672.jpg

Come to find out, we both really took his advice to heart. We have gone out of town 4 of the 5 years we've had kids just the two of us. We have taken the kids out of town before and plan to again next summer, but the time as a couple is crucial for our marriage.

 photo null_zps554d13dd.jpg
Since we did a big trip to Cancun last year and want to take the boys to the beach next year, we played it low key and went to Nashville. We wanted to not only spend the weekend together, but I also wanted to visit some friends I haven't seen in a while also! Love when I can do both!

We had no specific plans for the days. We did normal things like sleep in (which is 8am for us), eat breakfast in a coffee shop, walk around the mall (it was raining), go to a movie, eat lunch on a patio, have a drink in a bar.

 photo null_zpsa562b387.jpg

 photo null_zps504eed16.jpg  photo null_zps56b3b071.jpg

But the HIGHLIGHT of our trip was seeing my friends!! Heather has been my best bud since about 2nd grade. This girl knows me through and through and still loves me. Over the course of 27 years we have laughed together, cried together, perfected the cheek picture, loved together, been heart broken together, danced together and supported each other through a whole host of life's ups and downs.
 photo null_zps97672d5b.jpg
Heather and her wonderful husband Shane had a sweet baby girl back in November. This was the first time I got to meet her!!! She could not BE more precious!! Do you see this face!! I DIE!!!

  photo null_zps55285621.jpg

Heather and Shane took us to Holland House. They are known for their drinks and boy, do I know why. John had the Barnburner which was burbon over ginger ice cubes. Heather and I had a basil gimlet, aka - the forestini.

 photo null_zps10c5bb80.jpg  photo null_zpsa445f91f.jpg  photo null_zps83cf73cd.jpg  photo null_zpsdbcf11e0.jpg

We then stood in line for an hour for ice cream. Now, if you know me, you know I will do just about anything for good ice cream. John used to joke in our dating years that I had an ice cream pocket. No matter how full I was, I was always ready for some ice cream for dessert. When Heather and Shane told me we would probably have to wait an hour, I almost faltered. After hearing from literally everyone I knew in Nashville, I knew Jeni's was worth the wait. It wasn't until I experienced it that I realized I would stand in line for 2 hours for this amazingness.

 photo null_zps4dbdb6b9.jpg  photo null_zpscf2c0b64.jpg  photo null_zps5447a65d.jpg  photo null_zpsdd1927d3.jpg

On Sunday morning, we met Ginny and Jack for brunch at The Tavern. We were so lucky to have gorgeous weather. It felt like a cool October day which is rare for July in TN! It was so nice for Ginny and Jack to take time to eat with us. We stretched that brunch out over several hours! 
 photo null_zps5baf2bd7.jpg

Even though we were gone only 48 hours, it was a wonderful little get away. But who wouldn't want to come back to these two cute little guys??

 photo null_zps01c5525a.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment