Sunday, May 25, 2014

Take me out to the ball game


This was Evan's first year to play baseball. After properly assessing his skill level in our backyard (we have the greatest neighbors who tirelessly throw the balls back over our fence) we skipped t-ball and went straight to Junior Coach Pitch.

 photo DSC_0618_zpsb03c9aa6.jpg

The first time I saw him in uniform I almost died!! I mean, these kids looks SO flipping cute in their uniforms! I was so happy to be a baseball mom. Someone asked me if I was excited about it because I played. After I caught my breath from laughing so hard, I tried to explain. He's played soccer and I wasn't this excited. Watching him play basketball would be painful (Book genes...sorry dude) and football just scares me. I am not sure what it is....I like watching him play baseball.

 photo DSC_0579_zps540811f3.jpg

Junior Coach Pitch allows every team member to bat. Each child gets 7 tries to hit the ball. It was a great intro into the real game. Evan was great at batting. He hit the ball every time, but once, when he got up to the plate, the whole season! While there were kids hitting home runs every now and then, for E's first time playing, I was so proud of him!

 photo ebaseball2_zpsf01c3f4f.jpg  photo DSC_0614_zpsab0233d7.jpg

Evan was so lucky to have two of the best coaches! What I loved about them is they were more concerned with the kids learning, having fun and improving their skill than winning. This was a complete God thing. We signed up too late to play on the team with all the St. George's boys, but Evan wasn't too concerned and neither was I. He just really wanted to play. So we had no idea who we'd get for a coach. When we were placed, I learned his coach was a friend of mine from high school's husband! But when I say it, I mean it, Coach Matt and Coach Corey were a GOD send for Evan. Exactly what he needed.

 photo DSC_0595_zpsbe7ea0be.jpg

But it was fun when we did play the all SG boy team! They were so cute catching up during game. :) (Photo cred: Stacy Smith)
 photo ebaseball4_zpsd584c3b8.jpg  photo ebaseball5_zps826c63d8.jpg

Evan's biggest improvement was fielding. He learned about grounders and pop flies. He now consistently catches throws in the backyard. Toward the end of the season he got a couple people out during the game!

 photo DSC_0631_zpsbaa51e85.jpg  photo DSC_0609_zps18e8d928.jpg

He's super sad it's over, but I promised he could play again next year.
 photo DSC_0531_zps94a4c255.jpg

 photo DSC_0522_zpsee2a9174.jpg  photo DSC_0517_zpse8d7106d.jpg  photo DSC_0524_zps9550a91c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment