Saturday, May 31, 2014

Yoga Gives for St. Jude


Warning...long blog post. If you don't want to read it all, just click here and donate.

I am so proud that a St. Jude Hospital resides in Memphis. Not only does Memphis house St. Jude, but Memphians support St. Jude. It is the hope that so many of these families need in their time of grief and despair. From the moment patients and their families arrive at St. Jude  they do not have to pay for anything; no deductibles, copays, worrying about eating, lodging, anything! In some cases they don't pay for their travel to St. Jude.  Not only does St. Jude pay for all the patients expenses, it operates totally on donations and fundraising. That means the cost of running the hospital, all of the labs, all meds including chemo, radiation, housing and staff are paid for by people like you!

 photo IMG_5627_zps7e3ad665.jpg  photo IMG_5804_zpse735109d.jpg

There is a dear student at St. George's name Carson who just found out in March she has cancer. I have taught Carson since PK. Carson has ALWAYS been a spunky courageous gal, but now she is in the fight of her life.

 photo IMG_5546_zpsa29a8426.jpg  photo IMG_5826_zps9d0549e8.jpg

So why is this blog post full of yoga pictures (lol - trust me I have more...)
I have been looking for ways to support St. Jude and #teamcarson since this all happened. I was doing all the usual suspect, praying, sharing her CaringBridge site, telling people her story, etc. But it never felt like it was enough. When I friend sent me the Yoga Gives opportunity, I knew I had to do it. I gave up running a while back. I enjoyed the time half marathons and I spent together, but now I have a new love. Yoga. Now I get to use Yoga Gives to help Carson.

 photo IMG_5868_zps6c111c95.jpg  photo IMG_5413_zps50cff821.jpg

I have spent a year improving my yoga practice, but a day long yoga practice scared me. What if I didn't have the stamina or endurance? What if I couldn't keep up? What if I fell? (I fall at home all the time and only have my family to laugh at me!) What if I couldn't walk the next day? But then these were all the things I feared during my half training, and I am sure Carson and her family fears everyday. So I will keep training....keep pushing...just like sweet Carson.

 photo IMG_5529_zps569ce5d8.jpg  photo IMG_5465_zps43e198d6.jpg

This is where I need your help. First, please pray for Carson, her family and her team of doctors. Second, donate in the name of Team Carson. I have until June 7th to raise as much money as I can. I would love your help. Every penny helps. Can you skip your Starbucks once this week and help me? Can you and your family forgo dinner out and put that toward research for St. Jude via a donation? Like I said, every penny counts. CLICK HERE TO DONATE.

 photo IMG_5903_zpsedadc92e.jpg  photo IMG_5346_zpscf9b733d.jpg

People laugh when I say I would love a $1 donation, but I am absolutely serious. If everyone that reads this blog, that views my Facebook, that reads my Twitter feed, that scans my IG profile donated a dollar, I would burst through $1000 easily. Donate because you have a healthy child. Donate because you were a healthy child. Donate because you know a healthy child. Donate because EVERY DOLLAR counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment