Saturday, January 10, 2015

RIP Swimmy Wave Corner

The five people who read my blog know I don't like fish. But Evan got a fish in September and we have become 'fish people'. Evan loves having a pet. He prays for him almost every night. He remembers all his responsibilities like feeding him, cleaning his water, etc. He is a very good pet owner.

Sadly, while I was at dinner with some friends, Swimmy died. Evan went to feed him as he was going to bed and discovered him. Needless to say, he was very sad and cried.

When I got home and John told me, I immediately ran upstairs to Evan's room. I knew he would be asleep. I knew I wasn't going to wake him. I just needed to be with him. You see, my heart was broken. My son suffered his first real loss and I wasn't here for him. And if I am being honest, I had grown to like that scaley bug eyed thing. It really wasn't the fish I liked...I mean...let's be honest. It was how happy it made Evan.

The next morning, Evan crawled in bed with me. The first thing he said was "Swimmy died last night." I told him I knew and that it wasn't his fault. Evan was the best fish owner I knew and there was nothing we could have done differently. He started crying again which made me cry. I really have only seen Evan truly heartbroken one or two other times. My heart literally felt like it was cracking in my chest.

John told him we could go pick out some new friends for the tank. I mean, we spent over $100 on this habitat...we were getting more use out of it! We agreed we had to get more goldfish, but could splurge on some 'fancier' ones. Evan settled on a red capped goldfish, telescoping goldfish and a comet goldfish. Trust me when I tell you I know more about these damn fish than I EVER wanted to. But once you have kids, you realize you will do just about anything to make them happy.

So welcome to the family Veto, Wendall, and Mingo. We hope you like your new digs!

PS. I won't write about every fish we get, I promise.


 photo 02F033FB-82E1-4B47-89D0-740105CAC919_zpschh66bo4.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment