Saturday, January 7, 2017

SNOW DAY!


We had an unexpected snow day! I mean, it was predicted by the weathermen, but for some reason, it was down played a little bit. No snow-maggedon. No weather lasagna.

But my kids heard the word snow and went into full force into prep mode. Bread and milk?? No no no...Wine store??? Nope, that's how momma preps for a snow day. These boys went into full school children snow day prep.

For those of you who live where snow is actually a thing that comes each winter, you might not be familiar with what us southerners need to do for it to actually snow. Like white flakes falling from the sky and accumulating on the ground kind of snow. But have NO fear, the Asbell brothers are here to educate you.

There are many variations of this procedure going around, so find the one that works for your region. For the Mid-South, you will need your pajamas, ice cubes, a toilet, and a metal spoon.

Pjs go on inside out, ice cubes get flushed down the toilet, and spoons are placed under your pillow, all right before bedtime. Don't question the process, people. Trust the process.


And as I always do, I posted this whole thing on social media. My friends who don't live here thought it was hysterical that this was really a thing!

But then, the comments section got even more interesting. There were debates about how many ice cubes and wooden spoons vs metal spoons. I mean...we are serious about our snow people!!

My friend who works at a local news station saw the OVER SIXTY comments and decided this needed to discussed. So, with my permission, he put it on the news' website and social thread. When I showed the boys, you would have thought it was Christmas all over again. I was just glad my toilet was clean, because when you live with THREE boys, you just never know.


Say what you will about us crazy southerners, but we git 'er dunnnnn! It worked! We woke up to bright beautiful SNOW!!!

I told the boys that they could look outside and check for snow when they woke up, but NOT to wake me up to tell me if it snowed. They didn't wake me up, but decided to get fully dressed and go outside. So after I had checked my email and texts and got confirmation we were out, I crawled back into my warm bed. That lasted about 1.5 minutes. So up and at 'em we went.


We had a great snowball fight with friends.




We made snow angels.

We rode on the sled I bought in Oct because I was convinced it would snow this year.


And NO snow day would be complete without some baking!! I don't know why I feel compelled to bake every snow day, but I do! Whether it's snowcream or cookies, I just have to make some sweets! But I LOVE how my boys want to bake with me. (Notice every ingredient is generic except the chocolate chips. I know what's important.)




Or maybe they just want to lick the spoon and mixer....hmmmm. Either way, I'll take it.

It was a great day that ended in a great way! John and I got to see Jason Isbell and his wife Amanda Shires in concert at GPAC. Such a good concert!



A perfect day in every way!

No comments:

Post a Comment