Sunday, January 1, 2017

Knit1Get1

Happy New Year!!!

For those who know me or follow my blog at all, you know I love New Year's Resolutions. You can read about that here, and here, and here, and here. OH, and here. :)

So here it is!! I present you Knit1Get1!!


I started arm knitting last year in late January just as a hobby. I knitted for a couple months straight. I knitted scarves for my friends. I knitted scarves for teachers' presents. I knitted a scarf for my mom. A scarf for me. I knitted because it made me happy. But one girl can only own and gift so many scarves.

After a while, spring came, the temps started to rise and there wasn't a need for scarves anymore. But....but...I kept 'hearing' this nagging voice in my head about knitting and how this could be so much more.

See, I am really good about listening when God sends me a no. Really good. I've heard 'no' to many things this year and surprisingly, it's easy to be obedient to that no. I know God has my best interest in heart and if he says NO, there is something better.  It's the 'yeses' that give me trouble. 

But, I have had this nagging little voice in my head to do more with this. It nagged and nagged and nagged. When I prayed about other things, I heard definite NOS, but still this little whispering yes in the background. 

And I will admit it. I was scared of that small whispering yes. 

Why were my nos so loud and clear, but this yes just kept whispering? 

After talking with John, I gathered some really good friends for coffee one morning to hash out my idea. I knew I was going to do it, but I just needed practice explaining what this YES was. As usual, my super supportive crew gave me lots of encouragement, some boundaries to set up, and even were some of my first customers.

What is Knit1Get1??
For every hand crafted, arm knitted scarf I sell, I donate one to a Memphis shelter. I've chosen, Moriah House, Dorothy Day House, and the Single Women's Lodge. When someone buys a scarf, they are buying enough yarn for me to knit two! So I knit one for a shelter and you get one for yourself.

What this is NOT: 
This is not a side business for me. I don't have time for a side business. As a full time working mom with 2 very active boys, so this must be a hobby. Knit1Get1 is just a place where I can post inventory and sell scarves! I also hope to post pictures of the women from the shelters (with their permission of course) wearing their new warm scarves that YOU provided for them!

Here's to a year of listening to a yes as much as a no!

No comments:

Post a Comment