Saturday, November 24, 2012

#thankful

"I am thankful each day for the blessings I see,
and for the gifts God has given to me."  PK Hallinan


I have tried to make 'being thankful' a lifestyle. Even when my road gets rough and bumpy, I can always find my blessings and send praise up to God for the things I do have. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because A. the food, B. family, and C. everyone has one day to focus on their blessings. But mainly it is for reason A.




I am thankful for my God. 
My faith is deeply rooted and passed down to me from Christian parents. I was blessed to grow up in a faith based family. I remember my dad tucking me in one night and telling me, "You know I love you more than anything, right? But do you know who loves you more? God." I don't remember how old I was but I remember that night vividly. It was the first time I even thought about God's tremendous love for me. As I get older, His love for me becomes more and more apparent, or maybe my eyes are open to His presence more in my life. I am humbled when I truly think about the sacrifice He made for me...for John...for our sons. 



I am thankful for true love.
At 17 and 18, John and I were not thinking about marriage, kids or how we would celebrate our 10th anniversary. :) But 17 years later, here we are. John is a precious gift to me. My biggest faults are some of his biggest strengths. I am completely impatient while he has the patience of Job. I am an emotional decision makers while he looks at every aspect analytically and makes the best decision for us as a family. He's creative and musical and artistic where I can barely draw stick figures (see last post). He is a listener where I am a talker...too much of a talker. And he is smart. The smartest person I know. Literally. Lit-rally.



I am thankful for snotty noses and belly laughs.
My boys. Where do I even begin? It was a long road to get these two gifts. Two ectopic pregnancies and a couple miscarriages, but there was a reason. God's plan is always greater than I will ever understand. Those two boys were hand chosen for me. I was hand chosen to be their mother. When I think, really sit down and contemplate that fact, I am just in awe. These special people, no matter how snotty their nose or loud their voice or messy their face, were chosen to be mine.
Evan - I am thankful for your kind heart and brillant mind. You think of others so often. When you see people hurting or upset, your goal is put a smile back on their face. I love how silly you can be but how serious you are when we are 'discussing' things. I know you are listening and taking to heart all the lessons daddy and I are trying to give you. You really haven't met a stranger. Your outgoing personality (and dimples) brings a huge smile to most everyone you meet.
Luke - I am thankful for your soft presence in everyone's life. You never have to make a big statement to let people know you are there. You will be my quiet one and I am thankful for that. You have gained the fabulous listening trait from your amazing father. Your independence will take you far in life. Keep that strong sense of self your whole life. More tickle please.

I am thankful for, well, everything else.
My family, my friends, my career, my church, my house, my everything.
Seriously, when I look at my life, I can't tell you something I am NOT thankful for. Maybe I see my life through rose tinted glasses, but even my struggles, the things I might not like, the hardships, all of it, makes me who I am today. Okay, okay...I am NOT thankful for Monday morning carpools in the rain. There, I found something. But I am thankful for a job.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment