Sunday, March 29, 2015

Happy Birthday Daddy!

I drove a different way home from school last week. We passed a church that has a small cemetery on its grounds. Even though this was a different way than we usually drive, we have passed this church probably over a thousand times, but our conversation took a different turn as well.

Evan: You remember that place that has all those gravestones?
Me: A cemetery?
Evan: Yeah! A cemetery. You remember that one we went to?

**Sidebar - my boys have only been to one cemetery one time back in 2002. Evan was not even 3.

Me: Which one baby?
Evan: The one with all the white gravestones all lined up in a row. The one where your dad is.
Me: Oh yeah, the Veteran's Cemetery. Sure, I remember that.
Evan: Yeah, that one.

Here there is a little pause. I glance back and see him just riding quietly in the car...but...he's quiet. He's never quiet.

Evan: When was grandpa Chuck born?
Me: 1937
Evan: No, I mean which month?
Me: Funny you ask that, because it was actually this month! His birthday would have been this weekend.
Evan: What?! WOW! Wait, what do you mean 'would have been'?
Me: ...pause...trying to figure out what he meant...
Evan: mooooommm, why did you say that?
Me: Well, when he was here on earth and not in heaven, his birthday was March 28th.
Evan: Do you not get your birthday when you go to heaven??
Me: Well, it will always be his birthday, he's just not here to celebrate it.
Evan: We can celebrate it!!

So once again, I was schooled by my oldest child. I'd like to say this happens way less than it really does. So we made a plan, together, on how we should celebrate Grandpa Chuck's birthday.

I have always acknowledged and internally celebrated my dad's birthday. But there was a hint of sadness that I didn't really want my boys to see. But Evan reminded me, I have a lot to celebrate in this life. Things my dad would be so proud of. Things that would make him laugh that huge belly laugh. Things that would light up his face. My boys being the biggest part what he would be proud of.

Our original plan to visit the cemetery with cupcakes was thwarted by a nasty 24 hour stomach virus. But in true Evan fashion, he did NOT forget. He asked John to pick up some donuts at the grocery store so we could celebrate when he felt better.

 photo 5A8F7A80-E6C1-40D5-BC2D-1F991667721F_zpshb4xlz0b.jpg

Happy Birthday Daddy. We ALL love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment