Wednesday, December 21, 2016

The Christmas Card

I love Christmas cards. LOVE making ours, receiving yours, keeping them year to year, and displaying them all during Christmas.

This year was very anticlimactic. I was stressing out (you don't say) because we were leaving for NYC and I hadn't gotten the picture I needed for the card, yet alone designed the blasted thing.  So on a cold cold whim, we dressed the boys and took off to the square.



It was literally so cold that the boys had no choice but to behave so I would be DONE!! While I'd like to believe their choice to hug and stay close was because they love each other so, I really think it was just to stay warm.

My children don't own a lot of shoes. They tear them up and change sizes after a couple months. Once they got into this rough and tumble boyhood stage, I knew $25 tennis shoes were the way to go. We also don't have a need for dress shoes. We attend a pretty casual church and generally aren't dressy people. So the ONE time a year I need the boys to wear nicer shoes, I pray to baby cheezit that their ONE pair will still fit them. Even if it doesn't, they can squeeze their foot into it for 30 minutes while I take a picture.

While finding Evan's fancy shoes, I yelled up at John that I had just bought some on clearance for Luke. He opens the box to find TWO LEFT SHOES. Seriously. I bought two left shoes. So, my youngest wore his ratty $20 tennis shoes. Real life, people.


But I got it. I got the one shot that I felt like summed up the boys for 2016. Their love for each other this year has grown beyond what I could imagine. They may drive each other crazy at times, but they can't live without each other either. I know it may not be like this the rest of their life, but if 2016 taught me anything, it's to live in the moment. And this moment is one I don't want to forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment