Friday, November 24, 2017

Reelfoot Lake

In fourth grade at SGIS, kids take their first off campus sleepover field trip. Last year they had Magical Math Night where they slumbered at school after doing magical math things. This year, they got to explore Reelfoot Lake and all its beauty.

First, the kiddos investigated owl pellets. Now, owl pellets are not what you think, or maybe just what I thought. It's not poop. It's like the owl's version of a hairball. After they eat their prey, the cough up the bones in this soft fluffy packaging. Most of the kids shied away from touching it, but once they started finding bones, they thought it was the coolest thing!


 Holding reptiles

 Painting duck decoys

I had two favorite parts of the trip. First was canoeing. These were my canoemates. G is one of Evan's best friends and Jessica is one of mine! We conquered our fears this day and LOVED being out on the water.



My second favorite thing was watercolor on the boardwalk. The scenery was gorgeous and the kiddos really painted some masterpieces. 

I don't do well with a brush and paint, but I sure do like a camera.

The kids also got to buy a souvenir in the gift shop. Now, this is a gift shop in a state park. Their items are limited. This year the big thing was a bird call. No bigger than your pinky finger, this bird call can drive the person with the most patience up the wall. We confiscated most of these after they were purchased. Lucky for the parents, all bird calls were returned to their rightful owners before going home. 

The kids were instructed not to bring more than $20. Evan and I struck up a deal that I would match however much he contributed to the souvenir fund, but the total couldn't exceed over $20. He readily scrounged up $10 so he could have the full amount.

The next hottest item were mugs. Yes, coffee mugs. I can't explain it. I heard 9 year old boys talking about mugs being life...? I just don't know. Either way, there are several new mugs in the class of 2026 households. Most say things like this...

The lake is his happy place? Is he 70? Should I buy him orthopedic shoes next? I mean...


The next morning, after a nice southern breakfast, we all headed to Discovery Park of America.



I love that SGIS provides this opportunity for my kids. What an amazing field trip! My 4th grade field trip to the Pink Palace to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment